Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wedding Bell Blues

I've been married for almost 28 years. That's right, Go Me...and him too of course. Anyhoodle..I was having a conversation about weddings with my son (he's in a wedding this weekend) and we were talking about how crazy expensive it is to host one. People are spending way too much. In some cases you could buy a house for the same amount. I had large wedding for a small town. I have no idea what it cost. I didn't have much to do with the preparations, I just kinda showed up. I would do it differently nowadays. It would be very small and intimate. And not a lot of hoopla.
My wedding was very pretty though. I had six bridesmaids. And actually that was because my husband had that many groomsmen he couldn't do without. It was a lovely ceremony. Although the minister was a real stick- in- the mud. He refused to say" You may kiss the bride". So we had to remember that after he announced us as husband and wife, that's when we could kiss. Well my husband plain forgot when the time came. I said "Hey aren't you going to kiss me?" Everybody laughed.
Then came the reception. Champagne fountain and keg. Everybody was having a grand old time. All of my mother-in-law's friends (that had seen my husband grow up) at one time or another during the reception, came up to me and said "You take care of him, he's very special". Not one person came up to him and told him to take care of me. Isn't that sad? Then it was time for the Father/daughter dance. By the time we got around to it, my dad had sampled the champagne quite a bit. He decided to get fancy and dipped me. He was thrown off balance due to the giant float-like wedding dress and dropped me. Then he fell on top of me. I was knocked unconcious and then grew a huge knot on the back of my head. It didn't seem to put a damper on the merry-making for any of the guests. My new hubby and I left soon after the accident. And to his dismay I had a headache on our wedding night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Join us. JOIIIIIIN USSSSSSSSSS.

x365.org