Thursday, July 17, 2008

Damn dirty apes.

When I was growing up, my friends and I would go to the movies each time the picture changed. This was back when they had to deliver the film in a covered wagon I guess, because a double feature would play in our single screen theater for weeks to months at a time. I remember being so excited standing in line to get my ticket to see Planet of the Apes. I was with my best friend J. at the time. Being the polite and nice friend that I was, I let J. cut in front of me. Uh oh....forshadowing....
So we watch "Planet" and yes, we were totally titilated by Charlton's naked butt flashing for one second as he dove into the lake. And we were totally devastated when we saw the crumbling buried Statue of Liberty at the end.
The first movie ended and then there was intermission. Oh isn't old timey stuff sweet? Anyhoodle during intermission the theatre management had a raffle drawing for prizes. The movie tickets were raffle tickets. The big prize was a purple Stingray bike with butterfly handles and a purple sparkly banana seat. Oh my God..my dream bike. Can you imagine what it would look like with an STP sticker plastered on the seat. Fabulous. But...guess who's ticket was drawn for the big prize.....that's right--J's ! Um...what? That beautiful bike should have been mine...Mine I tell you! I was in front of her in line and my stupid manners got the best of me and I let her get her ticket first. J. was super excited to win it. Well sure she was. But why didn't she realize that beautiful bike was rightfully mine. Oh, I acted totally happy for her but my heart was breaking in two.
I eventually got a purple bike...An upright Schwinn with a regular seat. And don't get me wrong, I was grateful for it. My parents gave it to me as a birthday gift. Please don't think dang...what a spoiled brat. But it wasn't a stingray. It didn't have butterfly handles. No banana seat. Some things you just don't get over.

No comments: